Friday, August 1, 2008

Preston on the Farm

Preston had a great time with Papa and Grandma on the farm and certainly enjoyed being the center of attention. If he had any fear of horses upon arrival, it’s gone now. He started off riding Goddess -- she’s about 14 years old - a great kid horse and graduated to Scotty (Grandpa’s roping horse) with much more “get up and go.”

Being on a farm also introduced Preston to some unexpected learning opportunities. Dad was walking a horse out of the barn and the horse’s “member” was waving in the wind. Preston noticed and said, “Gee, his penis is big – even bigger than my Dad’s!!!” I did not coordinate this post with Jo! But if I get in trouble – at least I can’t be sent to Iraq! This was too priceless not to post.


The picture above is a classic if anyone knows my Dad. He is a Jack-of-all-trades never sitting still. He’s had this Honda motorcycle is for nearly 35 years and now you can see it has morph’d into a more advanced species – but still alive. I showed the guys here in Iraq with me and one asked if he mowed grass with it too. Give Dad a few months and he’ll be using it to mow hay. I believe the platform on which Preston is sitting, used to be a grain/hay cart that he framed with angle iron and welded to the motorcycle frame. Dad cut apart an my old bicycle and bolted the seat/frame to the cart -- that’s what Preston is sitting on. Preston’s backrest is from another motorcycle. The 3rd wheel is the front forks and wheel of said euthanized bike. All topped off with some stylish racing red paint. The pad on top of the gas tank is a wrap/pad for a horse’s leg - this is obviously serves as a 3rd seat -- # of seats must match the #of wheels. Thus, all things are a compound in one – or in this case, just compound.


This is my favorite picture and for me personally, is one for the ages -- Papa and Preston’s boots (with spurs of course) . I’m grateful Preston got to experience some of how I grew up. Simply, we worked hard, we played hard, and we loved each other.

4 comments:

The ZamFam said...

That is so funny! As for Jo getting, mad, probably not cos that is a classic "out of the mouths of babes". We sure miss you!! I miss calling Jodie and talking having having you make one of your random analogies. Love you Stev-o!!!

The ZamFam said...

I remember Jodie coming home from the farm before you were married - she was introduced to a horse's 'member' as well. Quite an experience for a city girl!! We're anxious for your return to your homeland and Preston's baptism. Much love ~ Gene and Susie

Kerr Family said...

Now I can see where you got your handiness from. I can see you building/creating something from scraps and making it useful just like your dad and the motorcycle. It's great that you learned so much and that Preston got a chance to learn from your Dad just like you did. I'm sure it's an experience he'll always remember. When he's older and has kids he'll send them to you for the summer to learn the things that he is learning now. It's neat that we can pass those things on to our children! Those memories are more important than anything money can buy.

Elyse said...

Classic-out of the mouth of Preston. Oh my goodness. Glad he learned new things though!
~Elyse~