Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When it rains it pours, or in my case..it just floods!

We had visitors today! If you look closely, the visitors went by the name of Top Gun. Which is not too bad until you read the small print.....Restoration and Cleaning - Water -Fire - Smoke. In my case, the bright blue hose means I would fall under the water part!! These are the type of visitors you hope you never have and if you do, you hope you'll never have to see them again!
Yes, the tiny little hole in my pipe (it's to the right), that is connected to my outside hose, caused a lot of water damage in my basement. Although today it was in the 30's, rainy and even saw a few snow flurries, this had nothing to do with the flooding. Most likely the hose busted sometime between October and April. I had the hose on yesterday for about 2 hours. I was just trying to get my grass to grow and turn from brown to green.
And of all times, it happens when Steve is half away across the world. I called a girlfriend whose husband is a Realtor, I knew he could recommend a good plumber. In the mean time I called my insurance company and within a hour "Top Gun" and a plumber came to my rescue. My girlfriend came over, even though I told her I was alright, and we worked together clearing off bookshelves, cabinets and anything else on the floor....except furniture. I felt like I was packing up to move. The only things that were damaged were the bookshelves, cabinets and a bedroom set in the spare bedroom.....nothing that can't be easily replaced. Today it payed off having an organized and clean basement!
The damage was only in the spare room,closet and part of the family room in the basement. Here is part of the main area of the basement. They took the baseboards off, pulled the carpet back and took all the padding out. Right now there are about 6-7 huge fans drying out the floor. The plumber had to cut through the ceiling to replace the pipe. The spare bedroom is where the most damage was. Tomorrow they come to cut into the drywall and fix the water damage in the walls. The basement should be done within the next week.
In the mean time the basement is off limits. Everything is crammed into the office and one side of the basement. I am so thankful for Sherrelyn who helped get Mark here to turn the main water off, helped me move everything in the basement, kept me positive and stayed with me the entire time the workers were here (even though I insisted I was okay) and for Heather who totally brought us dinner, bottled water, Clorox wipes and paper goods.....to get us through until we could turn the water on again. It's friends like these that make these moments more bearable and easier to laugh at!

I have a greater appreciation for being prepared. Thank goodness for insurance. And if one more thing happens while Steve is away, I am never going to let him out of my sight again!

11 comments:

Rachael said...

No way. NO WAY! And I'll bet you were cute and smiley the whole time, too. I hope it dries soon! Brat that I am, I'd be like "hmm...what fun thing for me can I justify getting from this experience?"

the mrazek family said...

It will be fun to look back at all the things you handled while Steve was away. As for now, HOW HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodie,
I didn't know Steve was in Iraq. I cant believe how the kids have grown. Well take care. Need anything let me know.

Love,
Sue

Tobi said...

It's amazing the challenges you have to confront without your husband by your side. You can do this Jodie! I know it sucks right now but think of the sense of accomplishment you will have as you look back.

Anonymous said...

Jodie, this blog is awesome…..you made me cry! I feel about your Mom like you do – she is one, special woman and I love her so much!!! You also made me laugh out loud talking about the grass thingy! You are earning your stripes girlfriend and the pics of you all are priceless – beautiful kids!

Be well…happy belated Mom’s Day……as usual I did not get my cards out. Did your Mom tell you Sean and Randi are having a girl, Jason and Kristy a boy – one of each. We are blessed. Mike said he is certainly going to be exhausted that week (Hahahahahahaha) as they are due about the same week, 22nd and 29th!

Love and hugs to all,
Steph

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

And this is why I believe that military wives are special. We're as close to the pioneer wives as they get. And yes - I'm bragging on us, but whatever!

Good job. I've had plumbing issues during both deployments. I think it just goes with the territory. Now yours is out of the way. ☺

Bingy's blog said...

Jodi,
This happened to me when Jim was gone!! Oh my goodness how wierd!! Except ours was the laundry room drain that backed up all over the basement! I stayed in a hotel that night, I wish I could come help you!!! hang in there, new carpet is always fun!
Inger

Gene and Susie said...

I can't think of another woman who could handle all that you have without her husband. Trials give us experience to help others and give us insight on what others go through. Think of all that you're learning and how much your experiences will help other women!!! Love you lots!!

Kelly said...

You probably had a cute smile on your face as you moved everything. You probably looked perfect too!! I'm sorry all of this has happened. I don't think a smile is what I would be wearing. Sounds awful...but what could possibly be next? Good luck MUST be coming your way!!!

Jodie said...

You guys are giving me way too much credit! The only reason why I was able to hold it together was because my girlfriend was here to keep me going off the deep end and we had some great laughs about the plumber! Without her, I probably would have ran away.

Rachael - everything in the basement is new..figures! Nothing to get out of this experience. I don't even want a different color paint! I did the workers too bad it wasn't my daughters room, it needs a new paint job.

Juli - when he gets back, I am closing this chapter in my life and will look back in awe of all that has already happened in the past 2 mos! I have stories!

Tobi and Shar - I've always said the reason why I wasn't born in the pioneer era because I couldn't have handled all that they went through, I've beginning to think this is some funny way of proving me wrong. I think we've earned our bragging rights. Us military wives, we really do ROCK! Let's just hope the toilets keep working.

Melonie - No new carpet, the plan is that they'll replace the padding, dry out the carpet and then clean it.

Mom- you are too sweet!

Kelly - It was either smile or cry! And I looked anything but perfect. I was still in my gym clothes, no make-up, no shower! I certainly was anything but eye candy for all the male workers in my house! Good luck better be coming soon, no one will want to see my breaking point!

Molly said...

Jodie, This is the first time I've seen your blog for a while-- there's always an adventure, isn't there? It sounds like you've handled the whole situation beautifully. You're such an inspiration-- on many levels-- for women everywhere! I've been thinking of you so much!