Tuesday, May 20, 2008

FLOOD UPDATE

My 3-4 day expectations were shattered last week when the restoration company said to me "We meant it will take 3-4 days for the carpet to dry. Not 3-4 days for everything. You are looking at about a month before the basement will be done." Then when I heard "Contractor" in the next sentence, I totally cringed!!

I am married to a Handyman. We have never had a contractor set foot in our homes. Steve has laid wood floors, built decks/porches, replaced doors, cabinets, counters, installed sprinkler systems, he even built an amazing play set last summer for the kids using the wood from our old deck!! I have heard horror stories of month long projects turning into MONTHS!! This is what scares me. The contractor came out yesterday to assess the flood damage and said the workers would be out next week.....I'm not holding my breath. When I asked him the most frequent question, he thought the work would take 3-4 days.

Should I believe him? If that's true, then the restoration company could be out to do the carpets the following week. That means my basement could be put back in order in only 2 more weeks! I am excited thinking about it.....although I really shouldn't have any expectations, I know better.

This is just 1 wall in the guest room. It's crazy. I'm not sure how much longer my need for cleanliness can handle CHAOS in the house! I have tried to stay out of the basement. Out of sight out of mind has been my motto lately! Even if it means staying away from 1/3 of my house, a woman has to do whatever it takes to "hold it together." I'm trying.

5 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

I'm so sorry. But not all contractors are 'behind schedule.' When we had the kitchen done Chuck said 6 to 7 weeks. It was done in 7! And old saying from teh 70's - KEEP THE FAITH!!! Love you ~ Mom

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Floods are such a bummer! My mom accidentally flooded our basement right before Christmas a couple years ago, but they were actually really great in getting it back together fast--so hopefully it will all go well for you! And yeah, we're *almost* ready for Ring Dance. Way excited, though! We're actually going to be back in town for Memorial Day & would love to stop by & play with the kids if you'll be around? I'll steal your # from Matt's phone and call soon :-)

Tobi said...

Oh man Jodie I'm sorry. I hope all the work goes quickly and you get your basement back soon. Just try to be grateful and positive. There are no basements in Texas. So you are lucky.

The Horvath Crew said...

Sorry about the basement Jodie. I hope all goes well and it gets fixed in a prompt amount of time. Just think you could have my house that's 1350 square feet, and a 4th on the way.:) I can't wait to have a bigger home. I am pretty positive her name will be Brooklyn Anne. Love you-Liz

jksfam said...

I'm so sorry about the frustrating situation! Jim's been finishing our basement and I'm glad that it's been something that is mostly "out of sight, out of mind" for me. It will be nice when it's done, as I'm sure it will be when your fixes are done.