Sunday, May 18, 2008

RUN MOM RUN!

Yesterday the kids and I participated in the Fisher DeBerry Foundation 5K walk/run
Fisher DeBerry was the head football coach at the Air Force Academy for over 23 years and will be known as one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Steve was fortunate to play for him and then help as an assistant coach the year after graduation.
(the kids and I with Fisher and Lu Ann DeBerry after the race)

Preston is a huge Coach DeBerry fan. When we arrived here almost 2 years ago, Steve would often take Preston to football practices, press box lunches and of course to all the home games. Coach DeBerry would call Preston his buddy and his best friend. When we heard of his retirement in Dec '06, we promised Preston that he would still get the chance to see him someday. So when we got news of the 5K charity event, I couldn't resist the softy Mom side of me and I signed the kids and myself up to participate! Even though I knew I would have 3 kids under the age of 7 and only myself to get us through the race, I was crazy enough to do it anyways. All for the love of a 7 yr old!! Did I mention I was crazy?
(Coach DeBerry with Preston and Taylor at a Football Press Luncheon)

(Mason, our daughter's friend and Taylor in the double jogger)

I have to admit I was totally nervous about doing this on my own. My only goal, the competitive side of me surfacing, not be the last one to cross the finish line.

I started the race with Mason and Taylor in the jogger. They both had an ear piece from my iPod and were more than content to be off the ground! I was feeling good, I was going down hill and we were keeping a good pace. Preston took off running ahead of us with a friend, even better. A friend's daughter wanted to run/walk with us, not a big deal....... until she got tired quickly. I couldn't leave her so we would run a little, walk some, run a little, walk some more. Half way though she would hardly walk. With out having any other choice, I told her to hop in the jogger. I pushed 3 kids (about 15o lbs), up hill, the last half of the race!!

My Taylor....while sitting on her bum, listening to music and drinking gatorade, was my #1 cheerleader. She would often say to me "Go faster, Go here, Go there, RUN MOM RUN!"
It paid off for her in the end.
The results, Preston came in 2nd out of all boys ages 1-14 yrs. And Taylor, I told her and Alisha to get out of the jogger and run the last 50 yards to the finish line. She ended up coming in 3rd out of all girls ages 1-14 yrs. As for me, I certainly didn't get a medal, but I was far from last place!!!!
Another highlight was Rudy Ruettiger, the man who was the inspiration for the movie Rudy, gave a great inspirational talk after the race.

The kids came home with medals, Preston got to see his favorite coach and I crossed the finish line!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that was a choice experience!!! I've never known a better man than Coach DeBerry, and for Preston to be able to interact with him is really neat. Thanks Jo! - Steve

Gene and Susie said...

Did you stay on your feet the entire race? That, in itself, is a great feat!!! Congratulations to you and the kids faor a job well accomplished.

The Dragonfly said...

What a cool experience! and you did it alone with four kids . . . amazing. Travis is going to be jealous when he hears you got to listen to "RUDY".

Kerr Family said...

Sounds like fun. Congratulations to you and the kids.

Elyse said...

What a cool day! Sounds like you all had fun! I have heard DeBerry is an awesome man and I think it is really cool that that you met the real-life "Rudy." Loved the movie!
Have a great day,
~Elyse~

KAPELE KREW said...

Wow, you are the total SUPER mom!

The Horvath Crew said...

I am so proud of you Jo. That's a great accomplishment. When I tell Louis you met the real "RUDY" he is going to flip. He loves that movie. It's probably his favorite. What a great day.