Sunday, April 13, 2008

Safe Arrival

After 6 days of traveling, Steve made it safely to Camp Taji. His past 3 days in Baghdad were spent resting...trying to get his body used to the 9 hr time change, eating and working out. Yesterday he got to tour one of Saddam's palaces. I'll post pictures when he sends them. I knew he was most likely going be traveling to Taji today by chopper. The thought of him flying over who knows what below made me nervous. He said while flying over Baghdad he was surprised the buildings were only 1 story high, mostly all the same color and the city itself very compacted. The image I can't get out of my mind is him sitting in the chopper with his gear on and machine guns sticking out of both sides just in case they are attacked!!! You can imagine my total relief when he called to let me know he arrived where he needed to be safely! If anyone wants his APO address or email address, let me know and I will send it to you.

As for the gang here, we had a great weekend. Steve was very happy when he called yesterday and got to hear Air Force football fans cheering in the background. I was reminded numerous times by Preston and Steve that Air Force spring football scrimmage was this weekend.
Preston's 2 "partners in crime" came with us. The 3 buddies are big sport fans and love Air Force football. They even wanted to dress the same. Is that normal for 7 yr old boys?
The boys played behind the end zone the entire 2 hours. When Steve called today, Preston could hardly wait to tell him that he ran a quarterback sneak and scored a touchdown.
While they were on the field having a great time, I got to chase around a very energetic, very happy, 2 year old. I should have gone in my gym clothes instead of my high heeled boots because I got a great stair climber workout. Steve asked me how the team looked and my reply was "Did you remember Mason is with me?" I was quickly reminded of why we don't take him to football games or a lot of other places now that I come to think of it.

The boys had a fun time at the stadium while Taylor got to be with her best little friend. These pictures are proof that we made it and had a fun time. (Matt & Ashley, I accidentally deleted the picture of Matt and his fan club, did anyone else happen to get one?) I was glad that I could do something with Preston that I know he would have done with Steve if he were here. I loved listening to them talk today about the game and to hear the excitement in their voices.
2 peas in a pod!

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I'm glad to hear he made it there safely. My first tip... don't watch the news very much and definitely don't do too much "envisioning" of what he's actually up to. Thinking about the helo rides will do you in. This is obviously easier said then done, but my husband's COL and I have a running joke that all the guys are actually just sitting over there knitting sweaters and playing poker. I've told him that he's not to write anything in the newsletters that would ruin that fantasy. HA HA
I also wanted to make sure you check out my blog and/or this link: http://mabrystudios.typepad.com/reflections_of_christ/2008/04/soldiers.html

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

It was great to see you, too! I think Matt's parents did get a picture but they're not too great at uploading & e-mailing them so it could be awhile before we get it haha. We'll pass it along for sure when we do, though!