Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Catch Up

#1 The other night I went into Taylor's room to check on her. She had fallen asleep with her night light in her bed, a picture of she and Steve both in his fatigues and her dog from build-a-bear that she made with Steve before he left. She was really missing Steve that night and this is what helped her feel better. Priceless!

#2 Preston's nose should be BROWN. Last night he said he was having a hard time falling asleep. After taking on the role as both a mom and dad all day, kid's bedtime is a sacred thing around here. I told him to get in bed and eventually he would fall asleep. I was on the phone with a girlfriend and I look over and see Preston trying to hide behind the vacuum, knowing that I would of course see him. I ignored him in hopes that he would go back to bed. When I walked back into the kitchen I find him totally cleaning and organizing the fridge. I admit, this time it worked, I told him to get a snack and we would sit and watch a little TV together. About 5 minutes later Steve called and we got to Webcam with him for the first time in 2 weeks. The boys got to chat and I got a clean fridge.

#3 A few days ago my brother sent me an email saying that he and his family want to come out in November for a visit and to take in an Air Force football game. After reading his latest blog entry (click here) about his trek from CA to CO with my 3 ring circus - AKA Preston, Taylor and Mason - I am sooooooooooooooooo excited that he still wants to see us!! His entry totally made me feel emotionally unstable. I think I felt way too many emotions in such a short period of time... such as guilt, certainly not envious, hilarious, pity, excited, happy and most of all MAJORLY GRATEFUL to him and my mom for taking part in our crazy lives and still willing to come back for more. This picture totally made me laugh because I can just imagine him thinking "which flat route would be the quickest escape" and of course there was no escaping! I love you Bry

#4 The kids got to webcam with Steve this morning before they left for school. He sounded and looked great. He couldn't believe how big Mason was and Mason couldn't stop kissing and hugging the computer. The next group of Iraqi soldiers that are supposed to be there by now are no where to be found. I guess this is typical though. He is going through teacher training for a few days and then who knows what. He said the first 2-4 mos with the Iraqi's will be spent teaching them English. The Iraqi General wants all his men to be fluent. He even tried to convince me to shave Preston and Mason's hair. I had to remind him that it's 50' here not 120'.
Stylin' Zebra Print or a Convict?



6 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Oh, he's stylin'.
And I totally agree on bedtime. It's my sanity. None of mine are really old enough to get away with staying awake and staying in one piece - but I'll admit that I've allowed a kid to come sneak in my bed a couple of times. And that is normally TOTALLY off-limits. Luckily they haven't figured me out yet, they still think I'm the meanest mom in the world. ☺

The Dragonfly said...

I just loved this post Jodi, and it left me with wet eyes. . . a real view into your life as single parent while Steve is away. You are amazing and I'm praying for you.

Gus said...

If it weren't 11 pm i'd call just to say hi... miss you!

Gene and Susie said...

It's hard to look at my little Taylor - sacrifice? We don't think of what the children of soldiers give up, do we? I love you, Taylor. And thank you Preston for helping your Mom. I love you, too. And little Mason - you, too!!!

Björn said...

Hi Jodi! This is a voice from the past! I don't know if You remember the former Elder Frey?! I'm so happy to see that You are happy and Your children look realy cute! I have three wild boys myself. I wish You the best for You and Your family.
I would be happy to hear from You and this is my eMail adress b-frey@web.de
Take care Björn -:)

Jodie said...

Hi Bjorn,
I sent you an email yesterday. It was good to hear from you. I hope you got it. Jodie