Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Birthday from Iraq!!!















Well - as much as this deployment is an adventure for our family, for certain one downer is the missed family events -- especially Jodie's milestone birthday :( But today I taught my first class of Iraqi 2nd lieutenants and needless to say they are a handful. In some respects the closest equivalent may be teaching junior high or high school kids! On the bright side, they are extremely social and have a cheery disposition. I showed them pictures of my family which they loved and I quickly put them to work making a "happy birthday poster" of sort for Jodie. They loved doing it and they appreciated celebrating a family event. They all wanted to turn their rank over so it was visible and wear their berets for the picture -- schoolhouse policy is to obscure their rank in order to facilitate discussion. They were quite meticulous about their uniforms -- tucking in shirts, etc. It was good to see. I can't do much from Iraq for Jodie but send flowers and a card, but this is certainly a birthday wish/picture that is a once in a lifetime. Jodie is constantly receiving words of appreciation for my service here in Iraq, but any serviceman who has deployed will be the first to say, it takes an equal sacrifice from spouse and children alike. My love for her grows with each day here and I'm grateful for her support and love. Happy Birthday Dear!!! Love, Me

12 comments:

Jodie said...

THANK YOU honey!! I guess with the time change, for you it's only 3 more hours until my birthday. Make sure the guys know this is the best birthday present ever and tons of thanks. Leave it to you to come up with something so cool and thoughtful. And you even paid attention to detail by added the ! a the end, my favorite symbol in the world!! You're the best, I love you!!

The Horvath Crew said...

Jodie, Happy Birthday! The Big 30 huh? Your as young as you feel. I heard the thirties are the best years. Enjoy!! Thay is so cute what steve did for you. He's such a sweetheart.

Gene and Susie said...

Happy 30th birthday to my oldest daughter (am I really old enough)? And Steve - thank you. I know you've made your Jodie very happy. I'll say it again (and nopt for the last time), I couldn'tlove you more if you were my own son!!! I love you!!

jksfam said...

That's so sweet! Happy Birthday, Jodie! The 30's are good. I'm heded to 40 more quickly than it seems I should be...

Rachael said...

Steve! Jodie! That was so sweet! I just love the two of you together.

Tobi said...

Jodie you are very lucky! My husband forgot my birthday while he was in Iraq. But that's okay because we both forgot our anniversary. Oh well.

I hope you have a great birthday!

The ZamFam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you have a super fabulous day!!! Love you lots!!!!!!!!

The ZamFam said...

Steve, you are awesome! I love it! Hope everything is going well over there for you!!! We love you and miss you!

B Kerr Fam said...

WOW!! The first of my siblings has turned 30!!! Dang and I thought that I was old, glad that you are catching up a little bit at a time. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS!!

Steve-O, great idea for a birthday picture. Glad to see that John is exercising and going to the gym.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Happy birthday! I'm late - but oh well. I think it should be a birthday week. And what a fun surprise from your hubby.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Happy birthday from us, too!!! Such a sweet picture. (PS-hope you got those keys okay?)

Jodie said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! It was a fun day. Ashley, we got the keys, thanks! And Bryan, there will be no catching up, you will ALWAYS be older!