Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Silence on a Snow Day?

Yes, it is true, it is silent in my house at this very moment. This has been made possible by 3 very energetic children that have pushed their mom's buttons too many times and in return are snug in their beds, fast asleep. Hopefully visions of mischievous behavior are not dancing in their heads. So instead of cleaning the kitchen or folding laundry, I have decided to sit and enjoy the sweet sounds of nothing.

Today is a snow day. I usually love snow days. Sleeping in, staying in our PJ's, fire in the fireplace, kid's playing in the snow, playing games, watching movies, not having to go out. Life is good on snow days.

But today's snow day has been nothing of the above!! Preston and Taylor woke up and started to bicker over anything and everything (which I have no tolerance for). So instantly the day does not start off well. My Mason throws a fit at breakfast because I put water in his cup instead of juice, Taylor is mad because Preston had 2 waffles and she only got 1, I had to cancel my workout date with my girlfriend and so I got on my elliptical at home and had to get off too many times to stop Mason from doing whatever it was he wasn't supposed to be doing, Preston and Taylor decide to dump out baskets of toys instead of taking out which ones they want to play with (why do kids do this)?, they don't pick up and go on to making the next mess.. play dough, I am on the phone and Taylor asks if she can get the play dough out..I say yes...and next thing I know play dough scraps are all over the dining room table, floor, kitchen and Mason's mouth. It had not even been 15 min of playing and kids are fighting over whose play dough is whose amongst other things. Preston decides to get out pancake mix without asking and spills some on the floor, I ask him to wait and he proceeds to get out milk and eggs. While I am making pancakes, this is only 10:30 am, Mason comes into the kitchen with an empty laundry basket, the basket that was full prior to with laundry that needed to be folded.

So you can see that my morning was going no where but downhill. I was half way dressed, half my make-up was done, the house was a mess, too many things to do and nothing getting done. Oh, and we were supposed to be leaving in a hour to meet Steve and his coach from High School for lunch. So needless to say, I put a stop to anymore messes (in a way a mother knows best) and with no more patience left, the kids got to work cleaning the basement, kitchen, play dough and any other messes they made. While they were cleaning (don't you love it when your kids get older and can somewhat manage to clean without you), I got myself ready. I'm not sure how, but we were all ready to go and out the door with even a few minutes to spare.

Lunch, well, lets not even go there except that we did enjoy seeing Steve's old coach and visiting with him, he's a great guy. You can tell from the picture the moods of my children!


Needless to say, we get home, kid's finish a little more cleaning that they forgot to do before we left, kids go upstairs and now all kids are asleep. I wonder if they can manage to stay asleep until Steve gets home? Wishful thinking.

Some days are better left in the past. So this morning is done, gone. I have enjoyed my silent time with me and my laptop. I needed this. So now I'm off to finish laundry, go through paperwork and do a little cleaning myself. A mother's work is never done! So here's to my "not so good snow day morning" and hoping that the second half is better than the first. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

zuniga family said...

Wow! I guess my horrible students don't compare! At least I get to leave them behind. I hope you are feeling better. I think when Steve gets home, you should take an hour just to yourself to do whatever you want!

Kelly said...

I think you should get a spa day after every snow day....at least every snow day that is like this one!

Anonymous said...

Jo, I couldn't help but laugh as I read this post! I think I shed a tear or two in laughter as well! Mainly because a lot of what you said hits so close to home! However, when you're theone experiencing it, it isn't so funny!

Love and miss you guys!

G

the mrazek family said...

Ouch! Rough day. I hope the silence was enough for you to rest up for the next day...to do it all over again!