Friday, January 25, 2008

A 411'al Blog

This is the why behind the hair and why I am so glad January 21st has passed. I am not superstitious, at least I didn't think I was, but why take any chances. January 21st has come and gone and I have yet to see the inside of an ambulance in 2008.

The shortest version is this.... the day before I was going to be induced with Mason (3 days before my due date....loved my Dr), I was involved in a hit & run....I was the one who got hit. Taylor was the only one in the car with me, fortunately we were both fine. I couldn't reach Steve at work and so my neighbor, Aunt Danell, came to get Taylor while I had to be taken in an ambulance for obvious reasons. After 6 hours of being monitored (I kept thinking of all the things I HAD to get done), they unhooked the machines and sent me home to prepare for labor the next day! Mason was perfect and there were no complications from the accident. Taylor talked about the accident and ambulance for months, just a little traumatized. That's my 1st ambulance story.

The next shortest version possible.....Almost 1 year after my 1st accident. 3 days before Mason's 1st birthday. The kids and I get home from errands in the late afternoon. Steve had to be somewhere and wasn't going to be home until late. I am holding Mason in my arms and bent over to pick something up off the drive way. I slipped fast and fell. Even though it happened so quickly, I somehow managed to move Mason to the opposite side of the fall. As soon as I started to fall I knew it was not going to be good. I literally could not move. Trying to keep it together, I send Preston to our neighbors. Mason is crying, I am freaking out wondering if he is okay, Taylor's panicking, I'm trying to reassure her I am fine, even though it is obvious I am not. Preston totally stepped up to the plate, our neighbor comes, she takes Mason and says he is okay... a small scratch by his eye is all. I try to get up but can't. I have to be helped up. I tell the kids I am okay and I follow them in the house totally hunchbacked. I feel like letting the tears flow because I am in so much pain but I couldn't let myself lose it in front of the kids. Steve is on the freeway and can't make it home for another hour. I am not too sure what to do next. I call my girlfriend whose husband is a Dr...he's in a meeting and she is on her way to my house. As I am sitting hunched over on the couch, my kind-hearted Preston and Taylor bring me a bag of ice for my boo-boo.

The pain gets worse and I really don't know how much longer I can hold it together in front of my sweet children. They are so scared. So I tell my neighbor to call 911. The paramedics show up 3 minutes later. This time I was VERY HAPPY to see them. They tell me how to put my dislocated shoulder back in place, painful but I could finally sit up straight. They give me really good pain meds through an IV (I kiss my kiddos and tell them I'll be okay before the good stuff took me into LaLa land). The last thing I remember was crying because it broke my heart to leave my kids and them not knowing what was going to happen to me. I felt so helpless. But knew they were in good hands with neighbors and friends. My second ambulance story.

Well, I had also separated my shoulder that day. You can see the separation on the left side of the X-Ray. I couldn't lift my arm or carry things for weeks, including my 1 year old. Recovery was very difficult. Steve parents were amazing and came out the next day, Steve's boss gave him the time off he needed, friends had our kids over for play dates and brought us yummy meals, when Steve needed to be at meetings... women from church came in and helped with Mason. I couldn't believe all the support and help. We could not have done it alone.

Steve was the best. He had to do everything I couldn't do for myself. He never once complained, at least not about the bathing part ( did I just write that?), but you know you forget a lot when you are on the pain meds. I know it was so hard for him physically and emotionally. Not only did he have to take care of 3 little kids, he also had to take care of me while trying to keep up with work, the house, his church responsibilities, etc. It was a lot. It reminded me of what a great husband and dad he is. They really don't come any better than Steve. I am a lucky girl.

Anyways, a year later my shoulder is great. We opted not to have the surgery, it was a good decision. Although it is still separated and always will be, I can function just as well as I did before the fall. Thanks to my overly cautiousness on the ice and my Uggs (I learned practical boots were more important than vain boots!), I have been able to stay on my feet (for the most part) and have managed to stay out of all ambulances. Oh, and if I do fall again, thanks to Life Call, all I have to do is push a button and say, "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up." (see video below)
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/1087/
(Just kidding, couldn't help myself. Yes, I was old enough, barely, in the 80's to remember this commercial)

1 comment:

The Dragonfly said...

You are a brave, brave woman! I would have been a complete wreck the entire time!