Friday, February 27, 2009

First Day of School: Take 2

Here is Mason on Preston and Taylor's first day of school in August
Mason has had a year filled with plenty of Dr appointments and procedures! Last year at his 2yr appt I expressed concerns about his speech. It seemed as if we were constantly having him seen for ear infections. Tests showed mild hearing loss and he started private speech after numerous appointments. While Steve was in Iraq he had tubes in his ears and that seemed to improve his speech.

In January, after he turned 3, I had him evaluated through our School District. After another round of tests and appointments, we found out that he had a clogged tube (which we have no idea how long it was like that nor did we know that was possible). Again his hearing test showed hearing loss. Fortunately after the tube was unclogged with drops, we got our first positive hearing test since this all began. I was RELIEVED and so happy to say the least.

The evaluation team recommended speech and preschool twice a week. When I got to the car after the meeting I cried. First because I was so grateful for the help available to him and second was for my own selfish reasons, he's be starting school earlier than planned!

This past week Mason had his first day of school
I had to switch out the flag in the front of the house for a picture.
This is the flag the kids stand next to every first day of school!
(The yard doesn't look so nice compared to August)
The preschool is actually at Preston and Taylor's school, he likes that he gets to go to their school and it's very convenient!
He was excited for school. Here he is running up the ramp to the classroom door.
Once we got inside he was a bit more clingy. I stayed for a short while and he was okay when I left. His teacher said he had a great day and he willingly went back his 2nd day.

I must say that I have enjoyed 2 mornings by myself this week.
It's been 8 1/2 yrs since I've had that!
Remind me again,
Why was I crying for my own selfish reasons
when I learned he was going to school 2 x's a week?

7 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

Because he's your baby!!! Oh, how my little man is growing up. "So quickly, so quickly, they grow and they're gone."

jksfam said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your time now! I know I'm thankful for mine! I do love my kids, but it's nice to shop without being begged, etc.! I hope that his hearing continues to be okay!

Elyse said...

So what are you doing on your two mornings off? Just curious! Little man is growing up soo fast!
~Elyse~

The ZamFam said...

I thought it was THIS coming week he started school. How cute are those pictures?!?! I can't believe that he doesn't even have an ounce of baby in him. He looks so big now! Cute little man! Enjoy your alone time!!!

Kerr Family said...

Yeah, it's hard to let go but then when they are in school it's great to have that little time to yourself...well, I'm still not there yet. I'm looking forward to Kora starting in August...and Hunter going to Kindergarten. Although, I know when the day finally arrives I'll be bawling.

Mason is adorable. I didn't know he was still having problems hearing. Glad it was as simple as clearing the tubes out!

Janelle Anderson said...

Great to hear Jodie!! We sure miss your family!! Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

So it's my monthly "catch up on everyone's blog" day which explains why I am late in commenting... I sooo remember that sad feeling of my last baby going off to school and it is completely NORMAL - I'd be worried if you didn't feel a little sad!! Then, you get over it and go shopping!!