Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What do you say to 14 Iraqi Cadets?

I was eagerly anticipating a phone call last night at MIDNIGHT. Steve and his class of 14 Iraqi Cadets called to say hi and talk. I got to talk and laugh with them and hear them express gratitude for Steve and say "We like Major Hendricks and we are going to miss him. You have a good husband." I am assuming that Steve had them practice other English besides that line! They asked me questions about the kids, asked for advice, asked what I thought of their English, told me that Major Hendricks doesn't like shopping. It was funny. I made sure they knew of my gratitude for them for wanting to serve their country. They are very appreciative people.

It makes me sad to think that in a few weeks Steve will have a bitter sweet departure from Iraq. He has loved his assignment and has made life long friendships with not only those serving with him but with the Iraqi people that he has grown to love and respect. I know there will be tears from many when the time comes to say good-bye.

It's hard to imagine all that he has been through since he's been there. Being able to talk to the cadets has given me a small glimpse of what he experiences everyday. Last night's phone call is one that I will never forget.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

I am impressed! Steve will remember these memories forever. What a sweet call!
~Elyse~

The ZamFam said...

Ok, so the funniest thing is that they said Steve doesn't like shopping!! That is so random! I know for sure that they will never forget Major Hendricks. He really is an awesome guy! 22 days!!! YAY!!!!!!

Gene and Susie said...

It seems like he's been gone for so long and it's finally time for him to come home. Now there's a mission site we've never been to! (That goes with our blog.)

Kerr Family said...

It's great that he will come home with a great experience under his belt.