Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rusty Update

Here is the last post from Steve!! He leaves Iraq today or tomorrow to start his journey home! 6 more days, hard to believe. He has had a remarkable experience and has LOVED working with the Iraqi people. I personally have so much to blog about, just not enough time right now to do it. Maybe in a day or 2. And if you notice to the right, JoJo's MoJo hit it's 10,000 reader mark today! Thank you for all the love, support, advice, comments and prayers!!!


Written the end of August

Just got my departure details from Iraq – will be home 24 Sept – will probably leave here on the 19th of Sept – don’t want to miss that flight out of Al Udied! I picked out some random pics that I’ve taken…
Above is us at the firing range, ran by the Brits – we shot both the M4 and the M9.
Got to know Jolt (spelling unknown), Hungarian Army special forces – great guy. He is with one of our bomb squad guys with his dog.
Eating is and always has been one of my favorite times of the day – here we are in the NATO DFAC (dining facility) – the menu here can be too European/Indian at times so we’ll have to venture over to the US Army side of Rusty and eat at the good old KBR DFAC – never a disappointment. Those burgers, onion rings and Baskin Robbins ice cream have made me what I am! People called me, "Bull" - from Night Court.
Darin Williams – my bud here at Rusty – cut my hair before my R&R – I guess he didn’t want anyone to speak to me. Here is Capt Mickey Jordan by some damage caused a while ago from a rocket.
Here are some of my students the day after they were punished by the Iraqi Army staff. They shaved a strip down their heads – so the students just cut the rest of their hair off – here they are posing for me.
Living with multiple NATO soldiers – we each take turns hosting BBQ’s – the best by far was the Italian BBQ – unbelievable food! This is a picture of Capt Wes Venters (USAFA Behavioral Science instructor) winning Tombolo – like our Bingo.
I always take pictures of animals that I saw. We found a kitten in June that was near dead – we feed it almost daily. Somehow it survived getting part of its tail cut off later – it’s survived thus far and will likely make it now. Here’s Ralph…

6 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

Can't believe he'll be home in 6 days! We are so very excited for you and happy that he will be safe again with you. Happy happy day!

Gene and Susie said...

We've loved your posts, Steve. We're anxious for you to get home to be with your family. I think you'll probably have at least one child in your arms on on your lap for the several days after you get home. We love you and thank you for all you;ve done!

Rachael said...

Wow. All I can say is WOW...and thanks for letting me see my dear goddess of a friend - AKA your wife soon.

The ZamFam said...

I know I was just there, but I didnt check out the blog!! Steve, I enjoyed your family. I am so excited for you 5!!!! 3 more days!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! Jodie, thanks for everything!! I had so much fun!! Loves!

Rachael said...

Welcome home, Steve!!!

Gene and Susie said...

YOUR HOME!!!!!!!! Thank you for your service. We'll never see another military serviceman again without thinking about you, your sacrifice and your family's sacrifice. Much love!!