Friday, September 12, 2008

My 4 days of R&R and my 7 days of travel

Rest & Relaxation (R&R) – at least I tried. This is the hottest time in Iraq – between 115 & 120, but Qatar was just as hot and as humid as Louisiana! Here we are loaded up in a C-17 – about a 2 hr flight.
Here are plush accommodations!
Here is the “terminal tent” – basically where you wait to board your flight. You can see how many soldiers choose to pass their time.
Smoking is common in theater. Here is the door that leads to a smoking area – notice the blackened area around the doorknob!
I went on a beach picnic trip. Swam in the Persian Gulf (very warm and very salty).
Road a camel (jemaal in Arabic), which was the highlight of my trip.
Here is a good friend I met, US Army Maj Mark Clancy, a graduate of Citadel – played LB there.
My touristy picture… my harem is not pictured!
On the way back, our C-130 broke down in Kuwait – about 130 on the flight line. Here we are waiting for use of the facilities.
Nothing but C-130 comfort.
Exhausting travel. Arrived back to an air-conditioner that wasn’t working, but my friend here got it going!

2 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

I think we'll pass on a trip to Iraq!
Thank you for the pictures and travel log.
I thought camels were huge - next to you, the one you're on doesn't seem so big.
Much love ~ Gene and Susie

Kerr Family said...

Loved the camel picture. Susie is right, I think either you got a small camel or you make the camel look small. Love reading your posts.