Friday, August 15, 2008

First Day of School

The first day of school came at a great time. This past week has reminded me of episodes of "Tom and Jerry" except replace the characters with Preston and Taylor. They weren't as ready to go back as I was, but they loved their first day, their teachers and their classmates. Taylor is in all day Kindergarten and loves that she can eat lunch at school. Preston is in 2nd and is staying true to form with taking a ball to school on the first day.

That leaves this cute kid with me all day! He had to wear his backpack like his siblings and asks about them during the day. I had to redeem myself yesterday. When I got him from the childcare at the gym he was upset that he had to leave. My plan was to go home, eat lunch and then put him down for a nap. I felt so bad that instead of going home, I took him to McDonald's for lunch and let him play (which is huge because I can't stand McDonald's play area). Instead of napping, he hung out with me while I worked in the yard, we played football, jumped on the trampoline and he rode Taylor's Barbie car. Today when I got him from childcare, there was no redeeming myself

I was hoping to read Breaking Dawn during Mason's nap, that obviously didn't happen. But no nap means earlier bedtime. The kids were all in bed by 7:15. Instead of cleaning, like I usually do, I grabbed my book and sat on my porch reading and enjoying the quietness and the view.

I went to bed with a dirty house and it didn't even bother me. Last night was the most sleep I've had since Steve's been gone. I was asleep by 9 pm and awake by 7am. The one thing I'm going to do when he gets home, SLEEP IN!

Speaking of Steve, he gave me a tentative date of his return. Until I know for sure, I'm still counting on the beginning of October. But I'd much rather have his tentative. He leaves Sunday for his R&R (rest and recuperation) in Qatar. He gets to be there 4 days. The kids and I looked it up online, definitely different from Iraq. The first thing I noticed, the beach. Not too sure if he'll be there very much, he may want to stay as far away from the sand as possible! When the countdown starts, you'll all know!

10 comments:

The ZamFam said...

How far did you get into the book? It's good. I can't believe P is in 2nd grade...WOW!!!! I miss them. As for Mason, you are such a good mommy. Lucky boy!! If you can make it out here, I will let you sleep in!! PROMISE!!!!!

Tobi said...

I can't believe they've started school already! This summer seems to have flown by.

I'm glad your reading Breaking Dawn. Let everyone know what you thought when you've finished.

Kerr Family said...

Can't believe the kids have started school already. ?Time sure goes by fast.

Always take time for yoursef when you can. Without that time us moms will go crazy!

The Horvath Crew said...

I am still trying to find a moment for myself to start the book. Vannah starts K on Sept. 2nd- I can't wait! I hope before then if not I am sure after she starts I will get into it. We leave to OK on wed. so we'll see how that goes!
Love ya and miss ya lots. The kiddos look so cute! I am sure you are loving more mommy time. Hey Louis needs those dark night pictures. He wants to blow them up and put them in our room! haha

Rachael said...

School starts for us next week. So soon, huh! I guess we all understand how the baby gets to spoiled. I'm looking forward to keeping Calvin home with me.

Elyse said...

School already? WE have another week. Where did the summer go? Take some time for yourself girl and read. Chores can wait :)
~Elyse~

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

These cute kids were definitely more excited about school starting than Matt was haha. We can't wait to hang out with them this weekend! Hopefully you'll be able to finish your book :-)

Tammy and Kinamo said...

I love this special time of year. It fills the air with such energy.

I couldn't wait tell school started to read Breaking Dawn, so my kids had several days of messy house and frozen dinners. Post your review when you finish.

Anonymous said...

So we got married I think 6mos apart and your oldest is in 2nd grade and our only is 3 1/2--crazy how life works!
Your kids are adorable!
And how exciting to POSSIBLY have your hubby home sooner than you've been counting down to. What a reunion it will be!

Gene and Susie said...

So glad to catch up on everything. We miss you all!!!!! Love Dad and Mom