Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Yes I Can

There are some things I don't do around the house because I don't have the slightest clue how to do it and/or Steve could do it a lot better than I could anyways. And truthfully, I don't enjoy the handy work like Steve does. Not my forte. But with him gone, I have had my fair share of learning curves the past 2 mos.

The most recent was me taking on an aeration machine!!! If you have ever aerated your lawn, you know that the machine is not only extremely heavy, but as soon as you give it the gas, it takes off running with you running behind it.....at least this was my case! I think I could have made good money offering tickets to watch me make a fool out of myself.

Anyways, I loaded up the kids and heading to Home Depot to rent a machine that I have never even seen in my life. I had the worker show me exactly how to use it, I asked lots of questions (almost asked him if he would do it for me) and then reluctantly headed home with it in the back of my car. My neighbor came over and helped me unload it. Wanting to prove to myself that I can do this, I started the machine and...well this is where the show started. I lost control a few times and even headed into the street at one point. It was pretty entertaining. I needed help turning it around where the lawn sloped and picking it up to raise the pegs, but other than that, I did it all on my own!! Look at all the dirt I pulled up!
I was on my last stretch of the lawn and I had kind of gotten the hang of it. A neighbor comes over and is in awe of what I am doing. She had been down earlier in the day while I was sweeping out the garage and cleaning the cars. She yells out to me "What are you doing now?" and as soon as I looked up I lost control and hit a little something......... okay a big something, Steve's car. I had pulled his car out of the garage so the kids could play in there with the door shut while I was outside. I was trying to contain and entertain my busy 2 year old. How else was I supposed to do this job with 3 kids? As soon as Preston saw what I had done, he ran to get the camera and took this picture. He said he was going to send it to Steve. I thought it would be best if Steve got the picture and news from me first.
I was so embarrassed and my neighbors couldn't believe what I had just done. After I helped my neighbor with his lawn, I rushed back home to see if I could get the paint off. Not knowing what to use, I saw a certain solution in the garage (I'm not even going to mention what it was) and grabbed a paper towel. Well, after a little bit of elbow grease and whatever it was that I used, this was the outcome. I think it looks pretty darn good after being hit by a 500+lb machine. Sorry honey.
Despite having a sore wrist from holding the throttle and trying to pull back on the machine so it wouldn't take off on me, it was, in a weird sort of way, kind of rewarding! Yes, I can do it. Sometimes I don't have a choice. But when Steve gets back, I''m thinking I'll be more than happy to say to him "You can do it." And if I know Steve he'll be glad it's him doing it and not me!

9 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Awesome story. I really is amazing what we can accomplish all by ourselves. ☺ My list of things to do continues to mock me though.

Good job! I'm sure he won't mind the car ding at all - it's just a love tap.

Gene and Susie said...

There are also shoes with spikes on them - you just walk around the lawn poking holes as you go. No heavy, noisy machines, no running into cars, no sore wrists, and much cheaper. Of course, there is the issue of getting stuck in the ground but the entertainment value to the neighbors is priceless.

Gene and Susie said...

There are also shoes with spikes on them - you just walk around the lawn poking holes as you go. No heavy, noisy machines, no running into cars, no sore wrists, and much cheaper. Of course, there is the issue of getting stuck in the ground but the entertainment value to the neighbors is priceless.

Tobi said...

Sounds hilarious Jodie. Every lawn instrument I ever touched died. My home teachers took pity on me and did my yard work for me during the summer months.

I'm very curious. What did you use to get the blue paint off Steve's car? Nail polish remover? WD-40? Car Wax?

The Dragonfly said...

since i have laughed out loud while watching MY HUSBAND do the very job you did, i am giggling at the thought of cute little you doing it. but i am giggling with pride, because YOU GO GIRL! wow. you are amazing

Jodie said...

Tobi, I can't believe I am going to admit this....rubbing alcohol. I was desperate to try anything.

Rachael said...

So cool of you! That is no easy task...I remember watching Dawn do it (while I sipped a lemonade). I think of you all the time!!!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious and impressive!
I can remember Rob trying to control a 2man post hole driller on a hill--hilarious now but if you could have seen him.... it's not easy controlling those big ol machines--not even for men.
Good job on pushing yourself. what an example to your little ones

Tobi said...

Thanks for telling me Jodie. I'm going to remember that for future dings and accidents.