Saturday, May 31, 2008

Steve has been gone for almost 3 months. I admit that we don't have a countdown and I don't often think about how much time is behind or left. It's just one of those things that works for us. When I do think about it, I can't believe how fast the past 3 months have gone and I hope the next 4 go by just as fast. The kids and I have done very well. Sure we have our moments and our unexpected trials, but overall we are handling everything so much better than I would have ever imagined. People ask how we do it and , my reply is "we just do it." Somehow you have the strength, the extra patience and feel the prayers, love and support from so many.

The past 2 days we have been the hardest since Steve left. It's days like these I wish Steve were here, although I know it's not possible. But thinking of him being gone consumes my mind more than usual.


Preston left yesterday to Nebraska. He'll be out there until the end of July with Steve's parents. He'll be playing on the farm, riding horses, helping Papa with chores & being his shadow, playing t-ball, preparing for his 4-H competition, riding in a parade and having FUN! It was really hard saying good-bye to him. 2 months is a long time, but I know he is going to have a great time. He's been talking about going since February. He transforms from sports guy to cowboy very easily.

After a hard day I spent the evening with girlfriends, just what I needed. After a fun night of dinner, shopping and a movie, I was feeling much better. And then more drama first thing this morning! Mason had pulled a box of shelving onto his foot. He wouldn't stop crying and wouldn't stand on it. I called the Urgent Care on the Academy and luckily got an apt for 1 hr later. Fortunately the x-rays showed no broken bones. He was a great patient. He never cried and was so cooperative. We were in and out of there in less than a hour. I couldn't believe it. That never happens, but today I needed a quick visit with a positive outcome. Here is a picture of him with my glasses on, pretending that he was sleeping.

He didn't want to take the glasses off while the Dr was wrapping his ankle. Did I mention that he was seriously the BEST patient.

They think it's just a sprain. He still won't put any pressure on it. Needless to say, it's been a very low key day. We all took naps and have played on the ground lots.

As I was hanging out with the kids this evening, the doorbell rang. My neighbor a few doors down put together this beautiful arrangement of flowers for me! I told her that the past few days have been rough and that she totally made my day!

Tonight Taylor told Preston about Mason's accident. When I got on the phone with him he asked "Do I need to come home? What if Mason has to go the emergency room?" Preston is very tenderhearted and has a great concern for those who are hurt, sick, disabled, etc.. I told him that he didn't need to come home and that Mason was going to be just fine.

I have learned that somethings you can control and somethings you can't. Once again, I feel the hand of the Lord in my life. It's comforting to know that although I am alone here without Steve, I am not really alone!

P.S. And more great news, my parents called today to ask if it's okay if my Mom comes out next week. Um, I didn't have to think too long about that one! Thanks Mom and Dad!!


11 comments:

B Kerr Fam said...

Jodie you are the best!!! We miss you and the kids, yes I miss the kids, especailly the boys. Bryce asks all the time when Preston is coming to our house. Your kids made quite an impression while they were here and Bryce has not forgotten.

sara and gailon said...

I just received your comment on our blog. Talk about a small world, when your husband was in the Singles Ward, Harbor 2nd, he was my home teacher! Kinda neat how things come around, eh?

Gene and Susie said...

Mimi and I decided that you and Heidi are two of the strongest women we've met. We wonder if we would be up to the challenges you've experienced. I'm anxous to get there. I have to go "bubble gum and lollipop" shopping!!! We love you.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I asked my husband how far away they were from each other and he said 4-5k's - apparently they are on opposite sides of Sadr City. He's right on the Tigris at a place called Old MOD. My husband goes to where yours is on occassion but he says he goes to the "Iraqi side." I don't know what that means exactly. If your husband ever sees a really tall guy named Anderson wearing a 10th MTN patch on one side an Iraqi Army patch on the other... that's my husband.

Nunazuna said...

Jodie, Your such a good mama and wife. Hang in there and always know you are never alone. Your a good girl and a great example for many.

The ZamFam said...

I seriously wish I was there. I wish I was there with you since Thursday night, not on the phone. And when was the last time I told you that I freaking LOVE your kids? At church yesterday, a little boy climbed under the pew to sit with me. He's 2, super light blonde hair, and Mason's built. I couldn't see his little face, just hair and thick legs. I was holding/cuddling him and couldn't let go because I kept visualizing Mason. Man I miss you guys! Only a few more months and your amazing man will be by your side. Love you!!

Kerr Family said...

Sorry things have been so tough for you. Summer will go by quickly and before you know it Steve will be back. I'm glad Mason was alright. He seems like a tough kid. We are anxious for you Taylor and Mason to come out. Hunter will miss his little buddy Preston but we are excited to play with Taylor and Mason. Love you all!

KAPELE KREW said...

What a great blog! You are a great Mom and a strong wife. Keep it up!

Nocella Clan said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe you found us. How many years has it been? Just think when we knew each other we were all just newlyweds now we are all parents of three! You seem to have it all together. Good for you! Your children are so cute.

Tobi said...

Mason with your sunglasses on is just too cute. I swear he is your little mini-me.

I'm sorry things have been rough lately. I'm sure that their will be more tough times ahead. But you sound like you've got a lot of support. I'm positive that you can make it through this. Keep you all your hard work!

Tobi said...

Sorry...I mean keep up all your hard work. Not keep you all your hard work.