Friday, May 2, 2008

The Boob Crew


I am so proud of my 2 friends, Samantha & Audrey, that have trained so hard for the walk of their lives! They have dubbed themselves as the "Boob Crew." I love it! They will be participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington DC this weekend.

I have loved keeping up to date on their journey and their 3 mos. preparation for this weekend. I just checked the weather, and although the other night Audrey said thunderstorms were possible, the forecast as of 10 min. ago said 81' on Saturday and 76' on Sunday, with only a 20% chance of precipitation.

Cancer affects so many of us in different ways. For me I have watched family and friends battle through cancer. Steve's Mom was diagnosed with Lymphoma and went through a very difficult stem cell transplant shortly after we were married, almost 9 yrs ago. She has battled long and hard and the great news is that her scans continue to come back clear. She is a remarkable woman and has been a fighter. 3 yrs ago our sweet neighbor and close friend in Virginia, Aunt Danell, was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. Her battle has been a long and hard one and very emotional. But despite all the trials, she has volunteered for a study at John Hopkins and has spent several hours and days traveling there for a study with the hope that someday a cure will be found. Her scans came back 2 weeks ago with the "ALL CLEAR" and I literally shouted with excitement when she called to tell me! Last year in April, Steve's older sister was also diagnosed with Breast Cancer. After a year of treatment and trying to keep up with her busy life, her mammogram came back last month with the great news of "ALL CLEAR" and I couldn't keep myself from crying with happiness and relief.

These 3 women are amazing. I have made a donation to the"Boob Crew" in their honor. Every step that the "Boob Crew" takes the next 2 days, will be a step for them. And one step closer to finding a cure.

Together the "Boob Crew" will walk 39.3 miles in 2 days. Between the 2 of them they have raised over $4000! What an amazing inspiration these women are to me and to so many others. I will be thinking of them all weekend long and am so proud to have such wonderful friends who strive everyday to make a difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jodie. I appreciate your comments. To all cancer patients, keep a positive attitude and, with the love and support of family and friends, you will survive!
Steve's Mom in NE

The Dragonfly said...

Jodie! You rock. Thanks for the props to the Boob Crew. . . We DID it! And Audrey and I will have posts up about it hopefully by tomorrow. Amazing experience!