Thursday, May 1, 2008

I Will Survive

It's been almost 2 months since Steve's been gone. Here are just a few of my many survival tips!


I have made it a priority to accommodate Steve's schedule into ours. I make every effort possible to make sure the kids and I get to talk to Steve on the web cam or on the phone daily. We have designated Sunday mornings as our official "Letters to Daddy Day." The kids send Steve some of their papers from school (only the ones with stars) and they love filling up his packages with "treats" (which could be anything)


If the kids aren't making messes, in danger, fighting or getting in the way.....it must be okay to do whatever it is they're doing. It's not very often that Mason stays in one place for period of time. And sometimes I need him to just SIT STILL. So if Mason wants to hang out in the laundry basket with his "blankie and sippy" and watch a movie, I am more than willing to fill his request of "more juice please."

I need to get out of the house and have fun, with or without the kids!
Especially if the housekeeper has been at the house within the past few days. I don't have to worry about spilled milk on the recently mopped floor if no one is inside. And, I get to spend the day with one of my best friends, doing really cool things, while the kids get to play with their best friends.

I am learning to put aside my pride and accept help. And it's feels good to return the favor. Our friends have been amazing with helping with kids, household disasters, getting me out of the house and we even have friends from church that bring us dinner every Sunday! We have been so blessed. So when I have an opportunity to help others in need, it feels good to pay it forward.

Don't sweat the small stuff. If Mason throws a fit because he doesn't like what's in front of him for dinner, I laugh and pull out my camera instead of thinking he's going to starve. I mean look at this kid, he doesn't miss too many meals. And who couldn't keep a straight face with this pout.
And when he tries to get in the fridge for something else to eat, I say "no" and I take more pictures
I invite over a super cute, totally fun, engaged couple, for a BBQ. Matt is a cadet at the Academy and is Preston's favorite football player. Steve is (was) his academic adviser. Ashley is his adorable finance. The boys played football and basketball and Taylor and Ashley played and made a yummy fruit pizza. It was a fun night and the kids even slept in the next morning. We hope they'll be back soon!

Spend alone time with each of the kids. I let Preston play hooky from school today so we could spend time together, just the 2 of us. I try to do something special with each of them once a week. 2 weeks ago I took Preston and Taylor to a Patriotic Performance at our church . During the performance, it was asked that all active duty, reservist or veterans please stand. I looked over and Preston was standing up. I let him stand there, even though he obviously wasn't one of the above. I felt as if he were standing there in his Dad's place. The congregation applauded these men and women. Preston had a big smile and a proud look on his face. It was a priceless moment and a moment when I wish I would've worn my waterproof mascara.
I could go on and on, but another survival tip is to not get behind on sleep. So I am taking my own advise and going to bed!
Good Night
(another tip, which I need to do a better job at, updating the blog)

5 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

Great update, Jodie. The kids look wonderful. I love Mason in his the laundry basket - I wonder how big they make them?

Tobi said...

Way to keep busy Jodie! I'm so glad that your friends and family have been so supportive. That must really be a big help. Love all the pictures and all the fun survival tips.

JasmineJ said...

You are such an amazing woman and mother! You inspire me! Keep hanging in there, and know that we are praying for Steve and all those who are serving our country right now.

Elyse said...

Keep your spirits up Jodie. Glad you are staying busy. I love the pictures in the laundry basket. Too cute!
~Elyse~

The Dragonfly said...

You are totally working it girl! I'm amazed at all that you are doing and very proud of you for hanging in there with joy. way to go