Saturday, March 29, 2008

Shooting the AK-47!!!

Wednesday we got to shoot the AK-47, the terrorist rifle of choice. It shoots a 7.62mm round vs. the 5.56mm round of the M-16. 20 rounds in all, the last 8 or so on automatic, which, if you didn't anchor yourself and put a strong shoulder into it, you stepped backward! I'm the 2nd shooter from the right. The instructors are contractors that are mostly retired army special forces and medics. It has been excellent training to include subjects such as Arabic, Middle Eastern culture, history, combat lifesaving, insurgency, counter-insurgency, forward operating bases, M-16 and M9 firing, convoy operations, high-speed defensive driving, force protection, etc.).

6 comments:

Bingy's blog said...

Hello Steve and Jodi!
Through the magic of blogging, you have been found! I sure wish we lived by you all still! We'll have to hit some football games this season! Only 14 more months of exile in Greeley, you guys are great!
Inger Binns
jikmabinns@blogspot.com

Jodie said...

Inger, I am so happy you found us! I'm excited that you'll be back next year and that we'll still be here. Let me know next time you're here and lets do something with Amy!

The ZamFam said...

I can't figure out which on is Steve. I think I know cos he is the biggest one out there!! We miss you guys. Hope LA is going well!! Love ya!

Binns Family said...

Hi Hendricks...I found your blog from Jim and Ingers. Since we moved we miss seeing you in the halls at church...and we are sad to hear that Steve had to go to Iraq. Jodi, Please call us anytime you need anything!!! We are here and I am home all day and night.

Amy Binns
dabinnsfamily@blogspot.com

Binns Family said...

PS...Dave was so jealous when I told him that you guys got to go to the UCLA game. He had me go right to your blog so that he could see the pictures.

Janna said...

Jodie, Do you remember Joe Moore. He graduated in my class. He is organizing a reunion for the classes of 1996, 1997, and 98. We're supposed to pass along the word to people. Check out his website it is www.joemooreonline.com