Friday, February 8, 2008

The Sacrafices We Make

Not to make light of a situation that's really not funny, but it's either laugh or cry. I have to start the blog with this bumper sticker that our friend was telling us about the other night. WARNING..... you all know I am not crude, I am politically correct and there are certain things I don't randomly talk about..............but this I can't resist sharing. Steve says "things are always funnier when they have some sort of truth to them" maybe that's why this hit a funny bone for both Steve and myself.

So those Iraqi's better appreciate our sacrifices for them!!! Steve has volunteered to serve in Iraq for 6 months. He will head out March 9th for 4 weeks of training here in the States. He will then be in Iraq from the beginning of April until the end of September. He'll be gone for a total of 7 mos. Here is an article about where he will be and what he will be doing http://www.gazette.com/articles/force_32162___article.html/cadets_air.html

This somehow feels like the right thing to do at this time. We thought he would never be deployed, the majority of his career field jobs are here stateside. But I am proud of him and his willingness to volunteer to go above and beyond to serve our country. This is one of the many reasons why I married him, he is amazing. My grandma said to me "Why am I not surprised."

I know this will not be an easy journey for our family. We are so close and we all idolize Steve. He is really the greatest husband and dad, they don't come any better. As a matter of fact Taylor's teacher was saying the other day that she loves the way Steve is with his kids and that she doesn't see many dads like him. We will do everything we can to make life as normal as possible in a not so normal situation. If anyone has suggestions, we'll take 'em.

I know the Lord will bless us during this time as we prepare for his departure and our absence from each other. We have to remember that we are not alone and we aren't expected to do this alone. We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, we'll need them

We have already felt so much love and support from family and friends, thank you!! We will keep you updated. We love you all and are so grateful to have such a great support group around us!!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

.

7 comments:

zuniga family said...

I don't know if you say sorry about him going to Iraq or best wishes. You seem so okay with it. I know that I would be crying in the corner every second of every day. You being so strong. Do you want me to fly out to Colorado and help you? How fun would that be? Are you coming to Cali anytime soon?

Amy said...

I just bookmarked your blog! Steve will definitely be missed, but we're here to help you all get through it. . .

I love that yellow purse, by the way. I've closed down Kohl's a few times. If Target were closer I think I'd be in debt. I've really got to start shopping for myself again!

The Dragonfly said...

We are so grateful for people like your husband who are willing to sacrifice their time and especially time with a great family to do things that are difficult but protect this country and its freedoms. Please thank Steve from the Lees (event thought he doesn't know us) and be assured that he will be in our prayers for safety and a quick return to you.

Rachael said...

I love you Jodie! You, Steve, and your family are in our prayers. And on my list of places to crash with friends. When can I invite myself up?
Please tell Steve we think he's a rockstar...and speaking of stars? I don't think anyone's jaw was dropping about the breaking news: you gorgeous thing a prom queen?

the mrazek family said...

You've got yourself a brave man! You must be proud. The last line in that article sums it up. All scary, but exciting. You will all be in our thoughts!!! xoxo (That sticker is great by the way).

Tobi said...

You don't know me but I found your blog on Compound Eye of a Dragon Fly. Sam is my cousin.

My husband recently returned from serving a 15 month tour of Iraq in the Army. My advice to you is to stay busy! Spend as much time as you can with family. Take it one day at a time and talk to your husband as often as possible while he is deployed.

Hopefully both of you will have access to a computer while he is gone. You can call each other for free on the computer using SKYPE!

Good luck to both of you and we'll be praying for your family.

Jodie said...

Thank you for all the support and advice!! My door is always open so come visit. Tobi, I heard of SKYPE last week so I am glad you recommend it also!! Vicki, the kids and I will be heading to Clai in March. Let's plan an El Dorado reunion!!! Love you all!