Saturday, January 5, 2008

What goes up, must come down..literally




Okay, so this week I have been dreading taking down Christmas decorations inside and outside. Partly because I am sad when I have to realize that Christmas is now a year away, no more Christmas tree, Christmas music, Christmas letters from family and friends, Christmas parties, visits to Santa - or better yet the leverage of Santa for good behavior- kids and hubby home for 3 weeks, the excitement of the season, yummy foods, etc.


The other reason why I dread taking it down is because I can think of a million other things I can do with my time than spend a day undecorating, redecorating, cleaning and chaos. And an all day chore it is because heaven forbid I only put up a few decorations! Yeah right!


So Friday I said "what goes up, must come down" and decided Saturday would be a good day to get it done, no more putting it off.

I woke up this morning at 5 am to the loud wind and could not go back to sleep. I laid there in bed not wanting to start the task that was awaiting me, especially by myself. When everyone finally woke up (I only say finally because I was awake first) and we eventually made it down stairs, Steve was fixing pancakes. We set the table and sat down to eat. That's when it happened. I looked out the sliding glass door there it was, a big part of our fence had blown down.


And do you know the first thing that came to my mind was "why is it that what goes up must come down?" And then I thought to myself "Did you really just think that?" Maybe taking down Christmas wasn't so bad, after all I knew it would be coming down eventually. Needless to say, Christmas decorations are now put away, my house is almost back in order and now we get to spend another day putting up our fence (that was not supposed to follow the coming down theory) and hoping that nothing else that has gone up comes down anytime soon.

No comments: