Friday, January 11, 2008

Don't Knock It 'til You've Tried It!



Well, I've tried it and so I'm knocking it. The IT I am referring to would be the roads here in the North side of Colorado Springs. Remember, only if you've tried it, so because I live on the North side, these are the only roads I can truly knock. This is my 2nd winter in Colorado and I am not impressed with the road maintenance after it has snowed. Now, I am a Southern Cali girl, born and raised. My experience with driving in the snow has been 7 yrs now, which equals NOT EXPERIENCED. These places include Boston, D.C. and now here. I have yet to cause damage to anyone or anything because when it comes to getting out in the white stuff, it scares me. Especially when I have precious cargo in the car with me, a.k.a. KIDS. I will never forget, one early morning in Virginia, hitting an ice patch and swerving into the opposite lane. Fortunately there were no other cars out and I only drove away with white knuckles and a speedy heart rate. A few days later I was in Audrey's car and I think I jumped in my seat every time a car came close to us... remember that Audrey? There have been numerous incidents occur here in the Springs that have led to my frustration, but today's incidents put me into my venting mode. This a.m. my girlfriend was telling me about her ALMOST 2 car accidents in 1 day story. She said people were sliding all over the place on the icy roads. That got me going about the roads by the kid's school. There is only 1 way out after parents drop off and pick up kids. This 1 way includes a nice steep hill with snow and ice on it. The other day the mom I carpool with told me to drive safely because her car started to skid down this hill. I could understand if this was some random hill in the Springs, but this is the only route for drivers to get home from school. At the bottom of this hill you have kids walking to and from school. It only takes one car to lose control and hit someone. Now tell me why the main road, less than 1/4 mi. away is perfectly clear and this road is not?

I am not asking that they clear the road outside my house, heaven forbid they do that. I am asking that the 1 way, steep road, that I along with several others drive on everyday with our precious cargo, get a good plow. This all makes logical sense to me, why doesn't it to those who are over road maintenance? So what? So today I am calling the school and will make a complaint (in a very nice, concerned way) about this road. How could I knock something like this and not be proactive in getting it resolved. Hopefully the road conditions will change, but until then, not impressed and still knockin'!

2 comments:

B Kerr Fam said...

Hey it has been chilly here too!! We went to the zoo yesterday and I had to wear a sweashirt- low 60's is cold in the shade. Yikes, I do not miss the snow and especially driving in it, I remember spinning out a few times as well.

Rachael said...

You go girl!!! Change it up out there in the Springs!