Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's a hard life!

Every morning the kids know that before they walk out of their rooms there are 3 requirements:

1. dressed for school
2. rooms picked up
3. beds made

Honestly, their rooms are usually always clean because they usually don't spend much time in them (and picking up daily keeps it from getting out of control) and getting dressed is usually an easy task (well at least for Preston.... being male does have it's advantages).

The biggest complaint comes from having to make their beds. And trust me, I hear whining about it more times than not. It's like I've just asked them for an arm and a leg! Like life is so hard.

The other night Preston and Taylor were in cahoots! After we tucked them in, they must have each gotten up and made their beds. When I went to check on them before I went to bed, I called to Steve to come see how they were sleeping.
On top of their comforters! Those little stinkers! I let them be for the night. In the morning I asked why they didn't sleep under their sheets? Of course the answer was "We don't want to have to make our beds."

The first reason why I have them make their beds is because messes drive me crazy and an unmade bed makes the room look like a disaster. The second, although it should be my first, reason is that it's a simple everyday task to help teach them some responsibility.

Next time I see them on top of their sheets, I can guarantee that I won't let them stay that way for the night! Somehow I just know that the slacking has just begun!

5 comments:

Kerr Family said...

Smart kids. The best part of sleeping though is being under the nice warm comfy sheets and comforter.

Elyse said...

VERY SMART :) Can't believe they did that.
~Elyse~

B. Perky said...

I'm with the kids. Why make the bed when you are just getting into again that night? Put on a bottom sheet and a comforter to make Mom happy and you're good to go.

I like their solution.

The Dragonfly said...

You'd think they've been in communique with the Lee kids. This is a super old trick here at our house. I don't mess with them though - they learn soon enough that sleeping on top of the covers doesn't keep you warm for long! :)

The Horvath Crew said...

That is too funny!! I am sure that is something we all have done as kids sometime in our life. It's the smart thing (at least we thought when we were kids). Gotta love it.