Friday, October 3, 2008

He's Home

He's home!! He got in, as planned, last Wed, the 24th of Sept. And we are so happy that he has returned safely and that we are all together as a family again. All 8 flights coming home were on time, our friend told us to hurry and hit the slot machines, luck was on our side. He even made it into the Springs 15 minutes sooner and came up the ramp without us even knowing. All of a sudden I hear Preston yell "Dad." To which I totally thought he was joking. He wasn't!
Steve was greeted by 3 of the happiest, most excited kids I have ever seen in my life!! We weren't too sure how Mason was going to react to him, he was only 25 months when Steve left. But Mason was darling and jumped right into his arms. And when Taylor couldn't get an arm, she opted for a leg! Preston tagged a long his side and talked about playing catch when they got home
Eventually, I got to break through the kids and get a kiss and a hug myself, but not without kids all over us.

In someways it seemed as if we were just there at the airport, 7 mos ago, saying good-bye at 5:00am after not sleeping for over 24hrs!
The much anticipating homecoming seemed so unreal and hard to believe. The moment was one of the happiest days in my life.
Some of the Instructors from his Dept, that were able to get away from teaching, came to meet him at the airport. And their strong muscles came in handy, they carried Steve's huge bags so he could carry the kids, THANK YOU!
We had made signs and decorated the house. Some friends and neighbors helped put up ribbon and balloons and other neighbors put up flags, ribbons and signs in their yards! It was really cool.




A few days before he came home I asked what he wanted for meals. He informed me that he had eaten like a king, buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No pressure for me right? So he opted for McDonald's Double Cheeseburger for his first meal. He was anxious to get home so we brought lunch back the house and sat as a family around the table! It felt strange. The kids saved their last paper chains to tear with Steve.
Afterwards, he didn't even have time to change, the kids grabbed him (before I could) and he pushed Taylor and Mason on the swings while playing catch with Preston. I was impressed by his multitasking, something he obviously learned while deployed!
Life has been so busy since his return. Today he took Preston and Taylor to the football luncheon at the Academy and then to finish his in processing. We have been apart for 3 hrs, the most since he's been home! It's been nice to be able to sit down, relax and feel a little normal again. It's going to be hard when he gets back to work in a few weeks, it's been nice being able to hangout and do things together instead of alone. In someways I feel as if this is only temporary, like he is only here for a short while and will be gone again. But he is home for good and he is safe. 7 mos later my prayers have been answered!

23 comments:

Bingy's blog said...

Yay! It's over!! I'm so happy you are all back together, you are all awesome! I've been checking everyday tp see how you are...
Inger

Ryan said...

Jodi! Congratulations! I am so glad that your family is safely back together. I'm so impressed at how close your family is and has been even though you've been apart for so long! We love your family and hope everything is going well!

jksfam said...

Yeah!!! I'm glad that you are all together again! I'm sure it's been a hard 7 months!

The Dragonfly said...

I've been waiting and waiting for this post! And now I'm crying like a little baby!

Thank you Steve, for your service. Thank you Jodi for giving us a slice of your life while he was a way as well as snippets of life in Iraq. We are in awe of you and appreciate you so much!

B. Perky said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. It means so much to be able to put a name and a face to represent how I feel about our troops and their efforts on our behalf.

Hug Steve for me.

Gene and Susie said...

Amen and AMEN!!!!! See you Monday.

Tobi said...

Hurray you made it!! We all knew you could do it! I'm glad he's home safely and you are blogging again.

Kerr Family said...

I'm so glad for you guys. I bet it feels so great to be together again. The kids look so happy to see their Daddy. That's a long time to be away. Glad it went by fast for you guys!

Elyse said...

So GLAD he is home! I have been waiting to make sure and now I am relieved!!! Glad he is safe and in his own home :)
~Elyse~

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have your family back together again! Matt told me about how at the airport the kids wouldn't let go of him - especially Taylor. I'd been waiting for this post too, and am glad it took a week+ for you to get to it! Glad you're busy being a family again!
Krista

The Horvath Crew said...

YIPPEEEE! So awesome. I am happy for you all. I bet Preston is so excited he has someone to play ball with. Well I send all my lov eto you guys. Have fun on your get away with your honey! Definitely well deserved. Love ya

Janelle Anderson said...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Here's a big shout out from The Anderson's in Dayton! Congrats! Go enjoy each other! Big hugs and lots of love...janelle, mike & lucas

The Carlsons said...

You did a good time making me cry. I even knew to expect this post and I still got teary eyed!

Steve, Welcome Home! Thank you for volunteering your time and service for our country! You have an amazing wife who seemed to make it though these last several months with flying colors.

Looks like your children are extremely excited to have you home. Have a great visit with your parents and thanks for letting Jodi come to visit us in VA.

Island girl 13 said...

Welcome home, soldier. And thank you, Jodi, for your sacrifice as a wife and mother for our country. Be blessed, my friends.
Lexi

Amy said...

We're so happy for you, Hendricks Family! I love seeing those kids with their dad again. Hugs to all!

the mrazek family said...

This is great Jodie. Glad he made it home safely!!

Nunazuna said...

I am so excited for you Jodi!!! It brought a tear to my eye when I read the title of your blog. I'm so glad your eternal companion is home and safe. Welcome home Steve!!!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

So fun to have him home :-) It's so great to see you all together again. Hope you had a fun trip...and have fun trips next week, too! And thanks for Sunday, we love you guys!

Anonymouse said...

Congratulations to the entire crew! I watched your lovely family anxiously these 7 months, always inspired. I must say, when Steve was home safe even I got a little misty.

Pat Smethurst
Class of 2002
;-)

Anonymous said...

I've watched the growth of your family while Steve was away. To say there have been changes is minimizing the entire experience. Jodie is continued to be a very tender woman, but strong. I had no idea. Steve is a courageous man to leave his family to do what had to be done. You are both dignified and honorable. Your children should be proud of you. Your parents should be proud of you. You have supported each other through this ordeal and have become even better than you were before.

Jessie said...

Hi Jodie...I am so happy to see inside your life! What a great job you did with your family for 7 months! You are so strong!
I had so much fun with you this week! I so wish you hadn't moved away.
I hope your flight home goes okay. Try and get some sleep! (How late did you guys stay?)

zuniga family said...

Totally thought I left a comment! Welcome home Steve! Yay for you Jodie and the kids!

Nocella Clan said...

We are so glad Steve is home safe and sound. Hope all is well!